Wayne State University
University Library Committee
December 7, 2000 Minutes
Present: H. Cannon, A. Goodman, J. Langlois, J. Moseley, V. Neale, R. Holley, L. Sutton
1. Minutes of the October 23 meeting were accepted as presented.
2. A. Goodman, R. Holley and V. Neale reported on the meeting of the Academic Senate Policy Committee that they attended on November 13. The Provost was very interested and informed on the topic of scholarly communications, but there were a variety of knowledge levels about the issue on the part of the faculty members present. The Provost indicated it would be desirable to raise the consciousness of WSU faculty on this topic.
3. R. Holley has corresponded with the Provost since the November 13 meeting on the possibility of holding a campus event on scholarly communications. Discussion was held on various approaches to such an event. Consensus was to recommend the following sequence:
R. Holley to write ãlather documentä on the issue, sharing draft with the Committee
Take lather document to Council of Deans and Academic Senate.
Encourage grass roots effort at departmental level.
Hold half-day conference in November 2001.
Negotiate desired changes in copyright ownership with AAUP in next contract.
4. The Committee recommended an e-mail to all faculty in early January advising them of the changes in the faculty fines policy.
5. The following meeting dates were proposed for the winter semester:
January 22, February 19, March 19, April 16. (NOTE: subsequent to the meeting, conflicts were found with these dates. Next meeting is scheduled for Monday, January 29, 2001 from 2:00 to 4:00)