Wayne State University Library System
University Library Committee
January 10, 2008
2:30 – 3:30 pm
Dean’s Conference Room
Present: N. Bhavnagri, A. Conti, D. Featherston, J. Hankin, B. Harris, S.H. Kuivaniemi, S. Ng, C. Schochet, S. Yee
- Professor Claude Schochet welcomed committee.
- December 13, 2007 meeting notes approved.
- Dean Yee provided an update on Open Access legislation: Beginning in April 2008, most U.S. biomedical scientists will have to send copies of their accepted, peer-reviewed manuscripts to the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) for posting in a free archive.
- Robert Harris, Library System Business Manager, presented the Library System general fund budget overview. (See attached.)
- There are three budgetary units that make up the Libraries Division. (Libraries, OTL, & LISP)
- Most of the library system budget is made up of fixed costs.
- Fundraising for the library system is encouraged for: collections, facilities & LISP.
- During the last cost containment period cuts were made in the following categories: supplies, facilities, unfilled positions, travel.
- The acquisitions budget is approximately 8.6 million.
- Next meeting is February 14, 2008, 2:30 – 3:30, Dean’s Conference Room.
Submitted by: A. Conti