Power Outage Emergency Procedures
In the event of a planned or emergency power outage, the Access Services Director (or Access Services Manager) will function as the contact with Facilities Planning and Management and will notify all concerned parties of the power loss. If an emergency power loss occurs to the extent that the building is not safe for occupancy, the Access Services Director (or Access Services Manager) will contact the Library Dean or his/her designee about closing the library.
- Building Coordinators or his/her designee should contact the Dean's Office (7-4020) during regular business hours, to notify them of the loss of power. After hours, contact the Access Services Director (519-974-6400) or Access Services Manager (248-446-9228) and Public Safety, (7-2222) Indicate to the Dean's Office, Director, Manager and Public Safety that decisions to close the library should be conveyed back to the Access Services Desk.
- Building Coordinators or his/her designee should contact other Emergency Team members to indicate that the Dean is aware of the situation, and will call when a decision is made about closing the library.
- Building Coordinators or their designees should check elevators on all floors for occupants. If patrons are found to be in the elevators, contact Public Safety for assistance in evacuating.
- Building Coordinators or their designees should post warning signs not to use the elevators.
- Emergency Team members should circulate in their areas to inform patrons about the situation.
- Staff at the Reference Desk should power down all computer monitors and CPUs in the Reference Area, including desk computers and the IKON printers and computers.
- Staff in Media Services should power down all computer monitors and CPUs in the Instructional Computing Lab, including the IKON printers and computers.
- LISP staff should power down computer monitors and CPUs in the LISP Computer Lab.
- New Media and Information Technology should power down computers in labs 238 and 250 if applicable.
- If the decision is made to close the library by the Dean, contact Emergency Team members and initiate the library fire evacuation plan.