Where can I use wireless in Shiffman Medical Library?
Wireless is installed throughout the building. The best locations are identified on the floor plans at: www.lib.wayne.edu/shiffman/pda/map.php
Note: It can take a couple of minutes for your laptop or Mobile Device to connect to the wireless network once you enter the Shiffman Medical Library.
What do you need to connect to Wireless@Shiffman?
- Wireless Card - 802.11g (preferred) or 802.11b wireless card installed on either your laptop or Mobile Device
- Authentication - AccessID (e.g., aa1234) from Wayne State University or School of Medicine email account (jsmith) and accompanying password
- Operating System - A Windows XP SP2, Windows 2000 SP4, Windows 98 or Mac OS X 10.2 or later, Mac OS 9.2.2
Note: Windows XP SP2 and Mac OS X 10.3 are strongly recommended because of enhanced built-in support for wireless networks.
- Software - Web Browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari)
How to install your wireless card?
- Start your laptop and insert the card into a PC card slot (if external).
- Your laptop should detect the new wireless card. Follow the instructions to install the drivers.
- Connection is usually automatic. However, you may need the following information during the installation of drivers.
- Setup your TCP/IP software to use the 802.11g/b hardware
- Use DHCP to dynamically obtain a TCP/IP address
- On a laptop, look at your Network and Dial-up Connection
- Go to Start -> Settings -> Network and Dial-Up Connections
- RIGHT click on Local Area Connection and press Properties
- Click on TCP/IP and press Properties
- Check off boxes next to DHCP and obtain IP address automatically
- On a Mobile Device, look at your Wireless Network under the ‘Settings’ Tab
- Go to Start –> Settings -> System/Connections. Tap 'Wireless Network' (This may have an alternate name depending on your Mobile Device).
- Tap 'Network Adapters' and select an approriate adaptor (e.g. 'IEEE 802.11b WLAN Adaptor' or 'Dell Axim X51 WLAN Wireless Adaptor')
- Select ‘use server assigned IP address’. Press OK.
How to connect to WSU wireless network?
You must use a Web browser to authenticate and establish a wireless connection.
- Insert your wireless card if you do not have built-in support for wireless connection. Make sure that you use DHCP.
- Launch your Web browser and go to any URL (e.g. www.wayne.edu). Your browser home page is automatically redirected to the WSU Wireless Network authentication page (Bluesocket page).
Note: if you are prompted about a certifcate, click 'Yes'.
- Under ‘Username’, enter your WSU AccessID (aa1234) or School of Medicine AccessID (jsmith).
- Enter the associated password in the ‘Password’ check-box.
- Press ‘Login’ and you should now be able to connect to the Shiffman wireless network.
- For laptop, a small logout pop-up window opens when you login. Minimize the logout window to the taskbar. Click the logout window to close your connection.
- For Mobile Device users, there is no logout pop-up window as Web browser on a Mobile Device does not support pop-up windows. To logout, shut off your Mobile Device.
Contact the Shiffman Information Desk at 313-577-1094, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or report online.
Some laptops require special configuration; we can help you contact an expert for assistance.
Scott Hall, School of Medicine, WSU
Applebaum College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
Cohn Building (College of Nursing)
Wireless in the Libraries
Adamany Undergraduate Library
Science & Engineering
For other wireless locations at WSU, visit C&IT Wireless@Wayne (http://computing.wayne.edu/wireless#locations)